Thursday, February 16, 2012

Whistler

We took a family vacation to Whistler from Jan. 31 - Feb. 5th. We had gone to Whistler once before in college with some friends and we all thought that a repeat trip would be fun. I flew home first to see family and then drove with Issac and Lagaytha up to Canada. They were so generous with their time and came with us so that we would have babysitters. Halle really enjoyed spending time with them and did not seem to care at all when I was not around. In fact, when we got home, she kept asking for Mema and Papa! Since the drive to Vancouver was about 10 hours, we split it up in two days and stayed the night in Seattle. We had a hotel room that overlooked the bus station which Halle just loved...her and Mema looked the the buses the whole time! Halle did great in the car (it helped that Mema was a great entertainer!) and we picked up Brandon from the Vancouver airport the next day and then headed to Whistler.

We went out to dinner with our friends while Isaac and Lagaytha were so sweet to watch Halle right after arriving in town. I have no clue how we would have done it without them! The next day, we got up the mountain early, had a nice breakfast and took advantage of our only day of fresh powder. We skied the whole day and it was beautiful. We were all sore the next day, so we took that day off. We had a great morning with Isaac and Lagaytha and then walked around the village in the afternoon. I skied a half day on Friday since Isaac and Lagaytha left that afternoon. I can't tell you how much we appreciated their help. And, Halle had so much fun with them. Halle had tea time with Mema each day which she loved...it was so cute! Thanks Mema and Papa for all of the help!

Brandon skied on Saturday too while Halle, Molly and I went to the village. That night, we all ate outside at a restaurant which is something I never thought I would do. There were heaters everywhere which made it manageable. We chose to do this since the restaurant was SO loud inside. Halle actually did really well considering it was late for her. She was also a great traveler the next day on our early morning drive from Whistler to Vancouver, our long flight from Vancouver to Chicago, a long layover due to a missed connection in Chicago and a drive home from MSP.

It was a fun trip and we were so thankful to have a little break from our daily activities at home. Trip conclusions: 1. Brandon is still an awesome skier! 2. I am still a scenic skier...I can get down the mountain but I like to take my time and look at the scenery! 3. I have no clue what we would have done without Isaac and Lagaytha 4. Halle loved sledding and throwing snowballs with Missie so maybe she will like tubing and skiing in warmer weather (compared to MN) someday!

In Seattle with Papa and MemaWaiting for Dada at the Vancouver airport with her new beaver backpack from Mema and Papa!
Beautiful Whistler:Missie and IBrandon, Me, Matt, Missie and Jack

Taking the Peak2Peak which is the gondola above that takes you from the Whistler mountain to Blackhomb mountain - it was built for the Olympics and at one point you are 1500 ft about the groundChris (scared of heights in the back), Sam, Matt and MissieWe got the one with the glass floor which was fun for those who didn't mind heights!Spending the morning with Mema and Papa!Me, Brandon, Chris, Molly, Matt, Missie, Jack and Sam


Throwing snowballs with Missie!




Brandon and the guys racing on the ski cross track - Brandon is the first one in the video
Dining outside!

4 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

Awesome post! I love whistler sooo much...it looks like it was a fun trip!!

David and Lesley said...

Loved your post and all the details on your trip - thanks for sharing! Beautiful pictures - looks like such a wonderful trip. :)

Unknown said...

A nice variety of activities and visiting times. It is great that you had a mid-winter break.

Heidi said...

Looks beautiful there! All that time skiing sounds super fun