Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Canoe Bay & Brandon's Birthday

We went to Canoe Bay this past weekend which was near Chetek, WI. We left on Saturday around 11 after getting packed up and arrived around 2pm or so. It was actually a nice drive seeing parts of the country we haven't seen before but it was kind of long. Part of the problem was that we didn't print off the directions they sent us and went with MapQwest instead...bad idea! This place will only send you directions after making a reservation because they don't want people finding it, so it made it difficult for us to find as well. Once we arrived, we checked in at a beautiful reception building and then someone escorted us to our room via a golf cart. She had us open our room to find robes, slippers, a double jacuzzi, snacks, water, soda, etc. The resort was smaller than I had imagined it but it was very nice and peaceful. I thought the "Lodge" that we were staying in with a library and fitness center would be pretty large but it only consisted of 4 rooms. It was in a very remote location so it was very secluded and private. It felt like we were the only ones there! Some of the buildings were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright's protege so they were beautiful.

After getting settled into our room, we went for a picnic lunch on the property. We brought food with us so it was nice to sit outside and eat. Afterwards, we went canoing. It was so relaxing to be on a private lake and it was fun to see lily pads which I had never seen before! We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and taking a hike on their trail. The trail was really nice and no one was on it but we soon realized why....there were a TON of bugs and we got eaten alive. We couldn't keep them off us so we decided to head back. I think I counted at least 15 bites all over me!! We then went into town (15 min. away) to eat dinner at Dairy Queen. The restaurant on the property was $75 per person! We then relaxed some more and watched the Olympics...go Phelps!

The next morning we were brought breakfast to our room. We ate it outside on our deck while I read a book from the library about taking better pictures (which is why I have more creative pictures in this post!) and Brandon read one of his med school books. We then got packed up, checked out, but then stayed around the property until 1pm. We took the canoe out again and ate lunch on the lake. It was so nice!

We had great weather which we were thankful for. On the way back, we stopped at a cheese factory and tried some Wisconsin cheese and then stopped in Pepin and ate dinner at the Harbor View restaurant before returning to Rochester. We then headed to Janet and Brandon's place and played games with them and Bekah and Jeff. I found out I am terrible at Balderdash!
My favorite picture with my new picture taking skills!Where we checked inThe private lakeOur picnic lunchThe Lodge where we stayedOur roomThe libraryOur car in the midst of an Audi, Lexus and Beamer!!Enjoying the lakeCanoing!Lily Pads!A view of the lodge from the lakeThe restaurant on the property that overlooks the lakeThe trail where we were eaten alive!The garden on the propertyCanoing after dinnerOur breakfastTrying to be creative at a gas station...At Harbor View
On Monday, we went to Green Mill to celebrate Brandon's birthday. Afterwards, we went and saw "Tropic Thunder" which I didn't think was the greatest even though it had so many famous actors. I didn't make Brandon a cake but just picked him up a piece of chocolate cheesecake which he ate on Tuesday. We have had a good week so far... Brandon is on call tonight but tomorrow we are hoping to go to bible study together. Then this Sat. we plan on going to the State Fair...fried food hear we come!

Birthday cards and cake!
Green Mill for dinner - it was so nice outside!

7 comments:

Beth said...

Canoe Bay looks like a perfect escape to seclusion! Hopefully we can go there sometime! I LOVE the pic of the lilypads...they remind me so much of our cottage growing up...the sound and feeling of canoing through lilypads is something I can imagine with all of my senses...ahhh....

Jen said...

Looks like you guys have had a nice time lately! That lodge is really cute--it was in Wisconsin? Your hair looks cute--did you just get it cut? Hope to see you soon!

cassi said...

What a fun trip out just the two of you! Good job on your new creative pics too. And your new haircut is super cute!

TAV said...

yes, nice pics! i hope you are recovering from your bug bites. i LOVE the library!

Erica said...

Kristen - I liked your hair brunette in this post! I liked it in the other too, but I just couldn't see it very well! CUTE! Looks like you all had fun! Have fun at the fair...I can't wait to come back and go too!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful weekend. Kriste, we like your hair. Forgot your deet? (Obaa and Ojii)

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got Brandon cheesecake. I know that he loves that above all other things.