Since I didn't go into much detail on Match Day about the days leading up to the big day or what we did afterwards, I will try to explain in greater detail.
The night before Match Day, we got together with some of Brandon's classmates for a wine and cheese party. People thought it would be a good way to relax before the nerve wracking day. Though neither of us like wine, it was still fun to chat with everyone and realize that we were all in the same boat!
On Match Day, I went to work in the morning before leaving to give Brandon a ride up to the Foundation House around 11am. But before I left, my awesome colleagues surprised me with a a little "best wishes" party. They had made a cake and completely surprised me. I can't imagine having better coworkers than I have...I feel very blessed. They all wanted to know as soon as we found out where we would be going!
The med school had asked Brandon a week ago whether he would be willing to be on the news, so when we arrived at the Foundation House, Will Mayo's old house, Brandon met with the media, both the newspaper and the news station. He was interviewed as to why he chose to go into medicine and specifically orthopedics and if there was any financial reason behind this decision...I think he did a great job answering their questions. You can see his interview at: http://www.kttc.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3566259&h1=Match%20day&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=182133&LaunchPageAdTag=Search20Results&activePane=info&rnd=89254997
From 11-12am, we mingled and talked nervously with classmates and spouses. Everyone was very anxious to find out where they would be going. At noon, all of the 4th years and their guests were ushered up to the top floor of the house. After everyone had taken their seat, they handed out the envelopes individually. However, they didn't wait for the person to open them which is nice because a lot of emotions are involved. It was interesting to see all of the reactions and of course, we were last to find out since our last name starts with a Y. I had been pretty relaxed all day, which is unlike me, so my prayers to be calm were definitely answered, but my heart started beating faster when Brandon got his envelope (it did the same when Brandon got an email on his phone right at noon indicating where he matched but I wouldn't let him open it!). We were hoping to stay at Mayo due to so many reasons, with one of the biggest being my job, so we were excited to find out that Brandon matched at Mayo. I am extremely proud of him. He has worked very hard for this. Congratulations also to all of his classmates who matched at very good programs all throughout the U.S.!
Brandon being interviewed by the local tv station , KTTC
This photo was in the newspaper for some reason!I went back to work after the match while Brandon went and watched some basketball games before we went to the Olive Garden with some couples. I can't believe that we are all ready 4th years and that Brandon will officially be a doctor in just a couple of months!
Bekah, Brandon, Janet, Me, Jeff, Brandon, Tunde, Deola, Cassi, Adam and NickThe second years threw the 4th years a party at Club Amsterdam that night and Brandon and stayed out just until midnight as I had to work the next day. It was fun watching everyone relax! We have a lot more pictures but it would be mean for us to post some of them!!
So I am sure you are all wondering what the big news is since I haven't mentioned it yet and no, sorry mom and dad, I am not pregnant....We bought a house! We had placed a contingency on the match so the day after match we closed on the house and we are now official homeowners. We are very excited but we are also very busy as the basement is unfinished and we are planning to move in this Saturday. However, we had gotten bids from contractors before the match and had decided on one so he went ahead and started on Friday afternoon after the house was officially ours. It is actually coming along very quickly and the basement looks a lot different than it did just 6 days ago: all of the framing is complete, the mechanical and plumbing is in, the initial electrical work is done and the sheet rocking began today. Needless to say, we will be very busy in the next couple weeks with moving and then getting packed for Bolivia. Thankfully, some of our friends will be helping us with the move on Saturday.
Brandon's parents are also driving out his grandpa's old truck to us so that we have a second car and they are also staying a week so it will be nice to have them around. I do feel bad that they have to drive the truck all the way out here and I don't think it has cruise control...bless their hearts. Also, thank you Norm and Joyce for the truck...Brandon is thrilled to be driving the Nissan pickup around for residency!
Brandon's parents are also driving out his grandpa's old truck to us so that we have a second car and they are also staying a week so it will be nice to have them around. I do feel bad that they have to drive the truck all the way out here and I don't think it has cruise control...bless their hearts. Also, thank you Norm and Joyce for the truck...Brandon is thrilled to be driving the Nissan pickup around for residency!



9 comments:
Great news!!!! Where is your house at?
We are so happy for you!!
Congrats again on both!!! I'm so excited for you guys. Your house is so great!
Also... I do like the idea of some other big news too... :)
LOVE all the pictures!!! :) And yes, congrats again on both!
Great news all around. We are pleased that some of your good friends will be staying and that Kristen will keep her job. We will be looking forward to more pictures of the house. No, the Nissan does not have cruise control but the report is that it is "humming along."
Yeay! Congrats on the house!!!
Congrats on the match and the house! We can now talk about all the joys of being a new home owner!
Where is the house?!??!
Excellent! I am so happy for you guys and all that is working out in MN! I hope the garage finishing goes smoothly. It's probably best that you aren't trying to do it yourself!!! Have fun moving in! Looking forward to more pictures! Congratulations!
Post a Comment