Friday, April 13, 2012

Perspective

I am reading this book called Kisses From Katie about a girl from TN who went straight from high school, at age 19, to become a missionary in Uganda and has adopted 13 children. It definitely puts everything into perspective when you read about how they don't have electricity for days or weeks, running water, limited food, etc. and yet still remain so happy. In the chapter I read today, what she wrote in her journal capture my attention:

"At first glance, it would be easy to feel sorry for these little boys. Their clothes are tattered; they sleep on old, dirty mattresses; they walk to school barefoot in the rain. They have no electricity, no running water, and it is raining so hard that the whole compound has become a muddy swamp. But I should not pity these children. In fact, I should envy them. At six years old, these children know what is it to be filled with the Holy Spirit. These children know the greatness, the wonder of our God.
I've had people ask me why I think Africa is so impoverished, but these children are not poor. I, as a person who grew up wealthy, am. I put value in things. These children, having no things, put value in God. I put my trust in relationships; these children, having already seen relationships fail, put their trust in the Lord. This nation is blessed beyond any place, any people I have ever encountered. God has not forgotten them. In fact, I believe He has loved them just a little bit extra."

It is so easy to become lonely and think that nothing is going my way when in fact, I have everything and more that I can truly want or need. But, after reading this chapter, I realize that the one thing that I am missing is putting all of my faith in God. I try to control things and worry about things that I have no control over. I want material things when in the end, it doesn't matter. I put my trust in relationships which can only go so far. Katie is right when she says that these kids are rich with the Holy Spirit. They know what it is like to trust in God to provide everything, even life.

I am going to challenge myself this next week to be reminded of this when I start to get down, lonely, am having trouble managing my busy schedule (yet I only have 1 kid to take care of, not 13+), or when I am having a "tough" day with Halle...it is even funny to me to think of the things that I got upset over last week like when Halle's nap wasn't long enough or when she woke up in the middle of the night a couple of times. Now, after reading this chapter, I think of how all of the kids where Katie is living would love to just have a clean mattress to sleep on!

I am glad that we are reading this book for our book club. I am going to read a chapter a day and start really counting all of my blessings. Katie also has a blog if you would like to read more about her story: http://kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/

I challenge you to also think about the things that make us upset and to truly trust in the Lord.

Here is a little video clip about Katie's life:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Quite a job.

Jessica SG said...

Funny, I am in the middle of this book too!!!! It's really a life changing and inspiring book!