2 hours ago
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Boston - The Freedom Trail
I have been meaning to post these pictures for awhile now but since getting back from Boston, we had Easter at our place and then I caught a bit of a virus so I have been trying to catch up on sleep amidst our other activities. I was in Boston two weeks ago from Tuesday-Thursday for one of our sales meetings that we host. It was not a very big meeting, only 17 participants, and it was training for me since I will be doing one in September in Chicago. We left early, early Tuesday morning (5am from Rochester!) and got into Boston around noon. After setting up for the conference which didn't take very long, we ventured outside and walked the whole Freedom Trail which was probably close to 6 miles. It was a little chilly but not too bad and it was so much fun to see the historical sites. I had never been to the Northeast before so I liked hearing the accents as well! Here are the pictures from the trail. If you know these places without looking at the name below, kudos to you...history was never one of my best subjects! Since being back though, I have watched two movies that were set in Boston and I did recognize it!
Standing in the Boston Common (America's oldest public park which began as a common grazing ground for sheep and cattle & later became a training field for the militia) looking at the Park Street Church
The State House - the dome was once made of wood and later overlaid with copper by Paul Revere - it was covered with 23 karat gold in 1874
Sharon (my coworker who was so sweet to go everywhere with me!)
Granary Burying Ground - John Hancock, Paul revere, Samuel Adams, Benjamin Franklin's parents and all five of the Boston Massacre victims are buried here
Benjamin Franklin Statue - on the site of America's first public school where Benjamin Franklin attended
Old South Meeting House - where the decision on "no tax on tea!" was made in 1773 and where Benjamin Franklin was baptized
Old State House Museum - built in 1713, it served as the seat of the colonial government before the Revolution - some of the most significant events of the Revolution took place within these walls
Paul Revere's House - the oldest remaining structure in downtown Boston
Old North Church - on the evening of April 18, 1775, the Old North sexton, Robert Newman, climbed the steeple and held high two lanterns as a signal from Paul Revere that the British were marching to Lexington and Concord to arrest Samuel Adams and John Hancock and to seize the Colonial store of ammunition which ignited the American Revolution.
In front of Paul Revere's statue
The USS Constitution - the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world also known as "Old Ironsides" since cannonballs "bounced off" as if she were made of iron during the war of 1812 - it still ventures out 6 to 10 times a year and has it's own crew and commander
The Dry Dock
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Lots of history. The next best thing to being there is seeing great pictures such as yours. (Obaa and Ojii)
I've always wanted to go to Boston! Looks like fun.
Hans
Post a Comment