Sunday, August 21, 2011

Oregon - Family Reunion

I'm way behind in posting from our trip to Oregon in mid-July but at least I'm getting to it now rather than later! We left for Oregon on July 15th and after a long day of traveling (shuttle from RST to MSP, flight to PDX, and then 3.5 hour car ride to Sunriver, OR) we arrived in the early morning on the 16th. I do have to admit that traveling with Halle was much harder than when she was smaller. She no longer can sleep on the plane unless she is in her car seat and wants to move around and see everything around her. At least Brandon was able to travel out there with me which was a huge help.

From July 16th-23rd, we had my family reunion in Sunriver (a resort town just outside of Bend). Every three years we have one with the family on my dad's side but it had been 9 years since I had last been able to go (3 years ago was my sisters wedding and 6 years ago was ours). It was so much fun to see everyone and it was the first time that my aunts, uncles and cousins had met Halle. The weather was colder than normal at the beginning of the week which was disappointing since most of the activities are outside (bike trails, tennis, playground, etc.) but by mid-week it had warmed back up.

There was usually an activity each day and then two large picnics during the week with all of the 115 family members that came and one large dinner and dance. We rotate who is in charge of the reunion and this year, it was our family's turn. My parents did most of the work along with my aunts and uncles, but this year, I was put in charge of "The Great Reunion Race" - basically, a scavenger hunt on bike similar to the Great Urban Races that I had done. It was fun to see the teams bike all around the resort to figure out the clues and complete some tasks. Brandon and I were stationed at the horseshoes and though it started raining towards the end, everyone seemed to really enjoy it!

We rented a bike trailer similar to the one we just bought at home and rode our bikes almost every day once the weather warmed up. Halle loved it! We also were grateful that Brandon's parents were able to come over from Eugene along with some long lost relatives from Charlotte, NC - Nick, Joy and Kenzie!! It was so much fun to see them. Even though they haven't been gone from Rochester very long, it is just not the same without them here...Kenzie and Halle are changing so much that it will be so different not to see them very often.

Brandon left with his family on Friday and then headed back to Rochester on Saturday while I stayed with my family until Sunday. I went back to our home town, Eugene, from Sunday through Thursday and got to see Brandon's grandparents. It was nice to be able to see them and for them to see how much Halle has changed. Halle loved pushing around Obaa's walker and putting toys on it just like she does with her own little stroller at home. We also got to see Brandon's parents new house which is just amazing! It was on the tour of homes and so they hadn't moved into it yet but they moved in the beginning of August and next time we go home, we will get to stay there. It has some amazing views!!

I was in my good friend, Karissa's, wedding so the rest of the time home was spent up at the Resort at the Mountain outside Portland but I have too many pictures so I will post those another time...

The whole immediate family together!! - Jeff, Renee, Kyle, Me, Brandon with Halle, Nana and PapaMy dad's whole side and believe it or not, this is everyone except for Jen's fiance, Robert
Back row: Kyle, Brandon, Kevin, Scott
Middle: Jeff, Renee, Mom, Me with Halle, Jen, Peggy, Amy, Anne, Matt
Bottom: Dad, Grandma Gigi, Bruce and Glen Jr.
Halle is in charge of this rowdy group!!My sister and Jeff (the awesome DJ for the night!!)The oldest and almost youngest4 generations!!Maci (the youngest by a month) and HalleDancing with DadaEating before everyone else!!Grandma and Kevin dancing - so sweet!At one of the picnics - Halle loved my parents dog, Bailey and wanted to hold the leash at all times!The group that went White Water Rafting - Brandon, Nick, Renee, Jeff, Kyle and I are in there somewhere - actually I am down in front with Kiki (which is my nickname for those that didn't know that) and Chloe who has the same birthday as me and it was our birthday that day
Halle loves metal railings - even when we go swimming, the metal railings that you use to get in and out of the pool are her favorite thing to play with!Swimming!Nana and Halle!We got to see Nick, Joy and Kenzie all the way from Charlotte, NC!Brandon with Halle and KenzieBack at home, I ran into our neighbors who were the flower girls in our wedding - now they are old enough to babysit Halle - yes, we are getting old!!Getting to spend time with Obaa and Ojii!She loved pushing the walker aroundSwimming at the hotel the day we left to come back home to Rochester - see what I mean about the metal railings?!? Once she gets in the pool, she seems to enjoy it much more than she used to!
Thanks Papa for taking me swimming!!

3 comments:

cassi said...

What a great reunion! I love that you planned a race for it- how fun!

Unknown said...

It is wonderful to spend time with family.

ErieContrary said...

You look so pretty in your white dress at the reunion!!