Sunday, March 11, 2007

RBC Banquet & Coaching Volleyball...

After arriving back from Phoenix late Monday night, we had to get right back into the swing of things. We have both been very busy lately...Monday's - women's volleyball, Tuesday's - coach volleyball, Wednesday's - dinner with the girls, Brandon's has his board review class and we tutor, Thursday's - Bible Study, Friday's & Saturday's - usually doing things with friends; and Sunday's - coaching my volleyball team in tournaments. I am not complaining about being busy...it is actually nice that I am busy so that Brandon can get more studying done which is good since his board test is in May.

We had an enjoyable and busy weekend. On Friday, after coaching volleyball in St. Charles, I met Brandon at a banquet for the Rochester Better Chance Program. This is an annual program that they have as a fundraiser for the program. There is a silent auction and the dinner is about $70 per plate to donate money to the program. All of the boys we tutor got dressed up in tuxes and they all had to give a speech which they were very nervous about. The tutors always get to attend the program for free which is nice. The dinner was very good and some of the boys sat at our table which was fun.

On Saturday, Brandon played basketball in the morning while I ran OUTSIDE with Bekah. It was so nice outside that we were able to run in shorts. We did have to walk when we came to ice on the sidewalk so that we wouldn't slip and we did get pretty wet from all of the snow that had melted, but it felt so good to be outside! I helped Bekah design her wedding invitations and we started to make them that afternoon. That night, Brandon and I went to church and then he went to see 300 with some guys, while I went with Allison to check out a band for her wedding.

We had an early morning this morning since I had to be at the National Volleyball Center for our first tournament at 7:30 am. I don't think I have mentioned on here that I am coaching an 18 & Under JO club volleyball team from St. Charles. They needed a coach for the spring since the varsity coach is not allowed to coach them until the summer. I volunteered and have had a great time so far. We practice on Tuesday's in St. Charles (30 min. southeast of Rochester) and then most of our tournaments are on Sunday's. The spring season is only through May so it is not a huge commitment and it is fun to get back into volleyball some more. We played 3 matches today and won 2 and lost one, so we came in second...not too bad after only having 1.5 practices. The girls are mostly sophomores and juniors at St. Charles High School and they are fun to be around. At practice on Friday though, is the first time in my life that I have ever felt old! I was asking them the best way to get in touch with them and all of them said MySpace and then asked if I had a MySpace page. When I told them that I did, they could not believe it....they thought I was way too hold to have a MySpace page and then preceeded to laugh when I didn't know what my name on my page was! Well, that night I found all of them on MySpace and created a group so that I could get in touch with them...so there, I am not that old!! :

Some of the boys we tutor - Ranferi, Demetrius, Zelford, James and Jonathon with Me, Brandon, Rayna and TonfyRayna and Tony - Brandon's classmates that are also tutorsJames, Ranferi and DemetriusAll of the boys we tutor - Top: Jonathon, Me, James, Ranferi and Brandon; Bottom: Demetrius and Will (the only senior)The volleyball team that I coach - Top: Shelby, Carly, Emily, Nellie, Hilary, Katie and Amy; Bottom: Katie, Bri and Me
Katie, Emily, Hilary, Tracy (Emily's mom) and Katie (who didn't want to be in the picture!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once old age sets in it is hard to remember your name at times. By the way, "What is MySpace?"