Tuesday, September 09, 2008

No more visitors...

I didn't have time to put pictures up here while my sister was visiting but now that both of my visitors have left, I have a little more time on my hands! I had a great time with Joy while she was here. On Thursday, we drove up to the Cities and had Mexican food at a restaurant that she found. Afterwards, we ate homemade ice cream at the Edina Creamery which was fun even though we were still stuffed from dinner! I then took Joy to the airport and sat with her until she had to go through security which was around 8:50pm. Then I only waited around 30 minutes for my sister to come in so the timing was perfect.

My last ice cream with Joy!

Renee and I got back to Rochester around 11:30pm on Thursday and then stayed up late talking. I worked on Friday but got off around 3:30pm so that I could show her around Mayo while things were still open. As I was showing her the Plummer building (which is my favorite building downtown) we ran into a few girls who were going to the 15th floor to see the carillon player and invited us to come along. I had never been up there before and it was very interesting. We took a winding staircase all the way to the top and met the carillon player up there. He is only the 3rd player of the bells since 1928! He explained how there are 56 bells with the smallest being 17 lbs. and the largest being 4 tons. It was amazing to see how good of shape the bells are in for being so old. He then played the carillon while we were in the booth with him. He wears special shoes for playing and does a great job. It looks like quite the workout as well. We were also able to walk around the balcony and get a view of downtown from up above which was neat. If you haven't done this before, I recommend it!

Overlooking downtown

This weighs 4 tons!
On top of the Plummer Building
The special shoes for playing the carillon


Playing the carillon

On Saturday, Renee and I looked at some houses around Rochester, visited some of her husband's friends that are at Mayo right now and then went to dinner at Chesters for what Renee called my birthday dinner even though hers is actually in September and mine was in July! It was very sweet of her and she even let me order the huge chocolate cake! On Sunday, we went shopping at the Mall of America before Renee had to leave. It was really nice to have her out here. This was her first visit and it is fun to show her where we have been living.

Dinner at Chesters
Renee's birthday breakfast!

Mall of America

I leave to go visit Brandon in Utah on Thursday night. I am very excited to see him and to also see Salt Lake City. It sounds like it is beautiful. He will be on call the night that I get in, but that means that I will get to spend most of the weekend with him. It will also be nice to get out of the cold weather (yes, it has cooled down a ton here!) and go where it is still summer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the pictures. I love looking at them and remembering how much fun I had with you! Looks like after 3 years you are still finding cool and interesting places in Rochester. :) I am glad Renee was able to make it out to see you. - Joy

Erica said...

Hey you little busy body!! I was all worried that you were going to be lonely with Brandon gone, but you are way too busy to be lonely! That's great that you get to leave on Thursday to see Brandon! I hope you have fun! :)

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

That's awesome you got to see the guy play the carillon. What a unique experience!

Missie said...

Looks like we're in a cool spell right now, so dress warm for arrival on Thursday night (rainy). BUT, it should warm up for the weekend (80-85) so be ready for summer again. See you soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Good times. Enjoy the weekend. (Obaa and Ojii)