For those of you who routinely follow this blog, you will know that even though it is titled "Brandon and Kristen", the former has not once made the effort to contribute any creative content to its pages. Perhaps that is because over the years the primary keeper of said blog has done such a diligent and fantastic job of keeping everyone updated that if the partner were to attempt to create a post, it would have to be excellent beyond words in order to be worthy to be held under the same banner. However, after much urging from Kristen, I have decided to make my first contribution to the online family journal.
I would like to take this opportunity to highlight the attributes and abilities of my wife, Kristen that have made her so great at what she does. Any of you who know Kristen knows that she is an extremely talented and organized planner. She has found a job that utilizes these talents with people that she enjoys, and she loves her job. The majority of her income is not spent on herself, but goes to support my education. As Kristen has been documenting, I have been flying all around the country for residency interviews over the past two months, and all of these trips have been financed and organized by Kristen. Here is an example of how easily it works for me:
Kristen: "You just got an email for an interview offer in Los Angeles on December 13th. Do you want to go?"
Me (stuffing my face with a meal just prepared by Kristen, watching SportsCenter on TV): "Sure. Can you take care of that for me?"
Kristen: "Sure" (1 hour later) "Here you go, this is your itinerary."
Me (sitting with my belt now unbuckled secondary to stuffing my belly with homecooked pizza): "Thanks" (gives paper a cursory glance) "Oh, that's kind of a long lay-over in San Francisco, anything you can do about that?"
Kristen: "Umm maybe, but this was the best flight I could find for the least amount of money"
Me: "And this rental car; is it a convertible? I think it might be warm in LA."
Kristen (Thinking about how 'feels like' -45 F in Rochester): "I dunno, that might put us over budget..."
Me: "Also, could you scrounge up some of those aviator sunglasses so that I can at least fit the part as I cruise around Beverly Hills for chicks?"
Kristen (Thinking about leaving this bum and heading back to greener and warmer pastures in Oregon): "I'll tell you what you can do with those sunglasses..."
What I mean to say is that Kristen has been a great help in this whole process called medical school and applying for residency. I have dragged her out to the freezing cold, away from her family, to a place where she didn't have a job and she has done great. Now she is busy with a job that she loves and spending time with the many friends she has made, and she still has the time and patience to deal with my medical school and interview schedule. I could not have asked for anything more.
Now I say that to say this. Kristen has one weakness: Chocolate. Especially chocolate ice cream. Tonight Kristen and I went to Culver's for dinner. We enjoyed our burgers and when we were done, Kristen put on her big down coat and gloves, walked up to counter and ordered chocolate frozen custard. On this, the coldest day in Rochester in nearly ten years, my wife ordered a frozen dessert. And even though this delectable dish required her to put on her down coat and gloves indoors, she enjoyed it. She will never cease to amaze me.
2 hours ago



13 comments:
Loved this post Brandon! I am reading it at 3am, unable to sleep, and laughing nearly outloud...
Could you please update us on your interviews? I feel this blog was lacking int his category. :)
Nice job Brandon :) I know how hard it is to get a "guy post"!
hahaha. I agree! GREAT post, Brandon! You really should contribute more. Now I'm going to have to work on Christopher...
What a sweet post!! Kristen is amazing!!! And was that the Chocolate Paradise day- we would have joined you!
Brandon...even though I know that this was supposed to be funny (and it was) it was also VERY sweet.
You both seem to have done an amazing job getting you through medical school. As we watched all the married couples in John K.'s class I was constantly amazed at how well they all did. You two are in that group as well. You seem to have balanced hard schooling and life very well.
Great post!
I'm with Kristen. It is never to cold for chocolate ice cream.
Hans
Way to go, Brandon. It is probably way past your turn. Who could ask for better than Kristen?
I love this post, Brandon! You guys are so funny. Kristen is right about the custard though--I would totally get some if I were there right now. Good luck with any more interviews you have!
LOL! Thanks for cracking me up, Brandon! It also needs to be said, though, that significant others who get dragged through med school don't get enough credit! Kristen is so awesome, and I'm so glad you dragged her with you! Not only has she made things easier on you, but she's brightened my life, too!
You guys are awesome!! I, too, would love an update on the whole interviews! Will you be coming to warmer pastures??
Brandon~Dwight & I "LOVED" your post! Not only was it filled with your great humor, it was incredibly sweet!
I'm sure Kristen appreciated your wonderful compliments!! Dwight and I can only add that we could give both you and Kristen many "Kudos" for everything that you do!!! We are so proud of BOTH of you!! :) All our love, mom P.
Very funny and very worth the wait, Brandon. Kristen is such a great woman and you are so fortunate! Can't wait for the interviews to be over, though, so you can both get back to being a family together again!
Kristen- it is a deal, you unload my dishwasher, I will do your toilets!! To bad we don't live closer to each other!:) PS- I am totally impressed with Brandon's post, very cute!;)
Post a Comment