Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Sad News in the Yuan Household...Fred's Dead

Fred, our goldfish, died in the middle of the night last night... I got him in June of 2008 so we have had him for over 2 years. When I first got him (I won him from bunko), I named him Fred so that I could say that "Fred's Dead" when he died, which I assumed would be shortly after I started taking care of him. Well, over 2 years later when Brandon told me this morning that Fred was dead, I was actually very sad. He always came up to the top of the bowl when you walked by hoping that you would feed him and would make noise in the water to make sure that you heard him so that you would feed him!

He survived two years without a fin (click here and here to read about that story) and a couple of months ago part of his tail also came off so he was definitely a fighter. I never thought I would be very upset but after I flushed him (as my brother would say, he is going back to the fish store when you flush them!), I stayed away from the kitchen because I didn't want to see his empty bowl. I still haven't emptied it yet! That may have to wait until after Brandon gets home tomorrow... However, after finding out that he was dead, Halle greeted me with her first smiles at her next feeding...almost like she knew I needed some cheering up!

I received this "Tribute to Fred" video from Cassi tonight. How sweet of her! They have watched Fred many times when we were on vacation and actually saved his life by buying him an aerator one night!


Tribute to Fred by Cassi

7 comments:

Marci said...

Wow, 2 years!!! Bryan and I had a goldfish that survived all of one week!!! He turned black and blue and we found him floating at the top, so sad! Sorry about Fred, but that's exciting that Halle smiled at you! Isn't it the best?!

cassi said...

we will all miss mr. fred and his noisy aerator! ;)

Allison and Jared said...

poor fred... he was a trooper!

Unknown said...

Let those who knew him, pay the proper respect.

Mauri said...

I am sorry you're sad...but let's be honest. Cassi is hilarious! Love the tribute...

David and Lesley said...

Kristen, when I read the title of your post, I was seriously shocked. And then when I read your post, I almost cried. Seriously, my eyes started getting teary. Fred will be missed. RIP Fred. [insert video of me pouring out some root beer on the ground]

yuan family said...

I agree Mauri...the tribute is pretty funny! Whoever would have thought that a goldfish would get so much attention?!? I love that Cassi even had a video of him! I guess we weren't very good parents since I couldn't even find a picture of him!!