Friday, September 14, 2007

7 Things You May Not Know About Me + A Lot of Things You May Know About Me...

Ok, so I know that I have been tagged by at least 3 people to do this, but I have been so busy and always am behind on posting pictures, that I never have time to do a post like this. I am supposed to tell you 7 things that you may not know about me, so here is an attempt, even though I am sure most people know these things about me already!

1. I VERY much dislike Brandon's general surgery rotation that he is on right now. For the past 2 or 3 weeks he has been getting to the hospital around 4 or 5 am and then leaving around 10 pm...He also has been on call a couple of times and he didn't get any sleep the nights that he was on call. I am actually doing fine with him being gone, but the reason I dislike the rotation is that he is getting little to no sleep, he is not eating, and I doubt that he is drinking enough water to use the restroom!! It is so bad that this past Tuesday he went to a little birthday celebration and Nick and Cassi ending up getting him dinner from McDonald's since he told them he had not eaten breakfast, lunch or dinner and it was already close to 9! I was not there otherwise, I would have made him something to eat..don't worry I am not being a bad wife!! I think Brandon has only one more week of his surgery rotation left...thank goodness!

2. I started a new job this past week as an Education Specialist for Mayo Medical Laboratories. Mayo Medical Laboratories is the diagnostic reference laboratory for Mayo Clinic that specializes in esoteric laboratory testing for health care organizations throughout the United States and around the world. It is the for-profit side of Mayo and so it is much more business-like than my previous job. I am enjoying it so far and am amazed my how much of a presence Mayo has throughout the World. I was helping at one of our conferences today and some of the participants were from India. Our conferences and other educational programs that I will be organizing are mainly offered to our primary clients, which are those organizations that send more than 85% of their testing to us. I am learning a lot about a different side of Mayo that I never knew about!



3. We are going to Seattle at the end of the month. Brandon is presenting his ortho research project at an orthopedic conference and we get to spend about 5 days there. I am very excited since both of our families are coming up to see us. It will be so much fun to see them and to also spend some time in Seattle. I love the Northwest!

4. I just joined a women's bible study called Side By Side. It is a national organization that is a ministry to medical spouses, including all spouses of medical and dental students, residents, fellows, as well as the spouses of practicing physicians and dentists. The group used to meet only in the mornings so I could not attend, but just last year they opened a Tuesday night study. This year, I joined one of the Tuesday night small group studies along with a couple of other spouses from Brandon's class. I am very much looking forward to this since it will be the first all women's bible study that I have been in. At one of the social events it was interesting to find out that I was the only one out of a group of 40 that was from the west coast!! We were playing a game and they had people stand up from what part of the country you were from and I was the only one that stood up from the West coast!

Ok, so now to some odd things you may not know about me...

5. I like the rain a lot more than I like cold weather. I didn't realize this before moving to Minnesota, but now that we have been here a couple of years, I definitely think that rain is a lot easier to deal with than freezing cold weather!

6. Like Wendi, I also hate grocery shopping. I dislike it so much that I make my list of everything that I need for the week and then turn the sheet of paper over and write out the order where the things are in the grocery store so that I can spend the least amount of time possible in the store! I also very much dislike the spice isle. I used to spend hours trying to find a spice until Brandon came with me once and pointed out that they are in alphabetical order...now I spend half the time but still more than other isles!

7. I am scuba certified. My uncle owns a sailboat company in the Bahamas called Blackbeards Cruises and awhile back when we were out on one of his new boats, all of us cousins got certified.

8. As most of you know, Brandon and I starting dating in high school. But I bet most of you don't know that during our junior year of high school right after we starting getting to know each other, I had to hint to Brandon that I wanted him to ask me to the prom! I had been asked my someone that I didn't want to go with so one night I asked Brandon what he was doing and he still didn't ask me. He waited and then asked me over the phone...dumb huh?!? He told me once we had been dating awhile that he knew I was hinting and yet he didn't ask me that night!

Ok, enough of posting, I better get to bed so that I start getting sleep before I run a 10K on Sat...wish me luck! Brandon is on call that day so he won't be able to support me... I am then heading to Iowa for one of my old coworkers wedding. I helped her out with a lot of the planning so I am excited to see how it turns out!

6 comments:

cassi said...

Wow Kristen! I didn't know you were scuba certified- and I didn't know the Side by Side was wives only- that's neat. Good luck on the run on Saturday!

Rachel and Hans said...

Kristen,

Will you remind me of that Bible study next May when I move back to Rochester? It really sounds like something I would like to do and I'll be looking for some sort of Bible study to join.

Also, a college teammate of mine and myself are running the 10K, too! I'll see you there!
P.S. Although I will love it, it's supposed to be chilly...dress warm! :-)

Anonymous said...

The time in Seattle will be great for both of you. Perhaps you can even sleep late once and if you are lucky it might rain.
Run along side the wind on Saturday.

Jen said...

Good luck at Harvest Classic today! :)

Anonymous said...

I actually learned quite a bit about you! I had no idea you were scuba certified or that you had to hint to Brandon to get him to ask you to prom.

Also, you're not the only one who spends a long time in the spice aisle. Thank goodness you mentioned the alphabetizing :)

Beth said...

Kristen - this was a great post. I definitely learned several new things about you. I also hate grocery shopping...during the day. Now, I almost always refuse to grocery shop during the day and just go late at night. Then nobody's around and you can get all of your shopping done really quickly. Not to mention, late at night there are TONS of grocery stockers around so even if you mumble a product, they can tell you just where to find it...they're the ones who put it on the shelf afterall! So now I actually ENJOY grocery shoppping! Try it some time...it's not so bad!