Monday, September 17, 2007

Life's Too Short To Be Negative

Since I tried to run tonight after playing volleyball for an hour and I didn't succeed, I ended up walking and listening to a podcast that I downloaded called "Life's Too Short To Be Negative". Per a recommendation of Joy, Brandon's sister, these podcasts are from Sunset Presbyterian in Portland, OR. This podcast was so good that I thought I should summarize the main points so that I can reference this post often when I am being negative. (I also have time to do this since Brandon is on call tonight!) You can also download the podcast yourself by clicking on the following link: http://www.sunsetpres.org/sermons/download I would recommend that everyone listen to it!

Summary-

The sermon starts out with the pastor reminding us that we can chose how our day goes. If we want to make it a good day, then we can. There are three effects of negative thinking: 1) it derails dreams, 2) it spreads to others, and 3) it forfeits God's favor. Negativity is a refusal to believe in God and is rebellion against God.

Overcome negativity thinking by...
1. Check your words - the words we speak set the tones for our lives. Apostle James said that the human tongue is like a rudder of a ship. Proverbs 18:21 - "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit" The words we speak are important and control the actions of our body. If we say that we can't do something, then obviously we won't be able to.

2. Cultivate greatness - we think we are entitled to have everything satisfied and when it is not, we complain. We should be grateful for what we do have. We always deserve much worse than what we are experiencing; Lamentations 3;39 "Why should any living man complain when punished for his sins?" When we remember all of the ways that we have broken God's commands, we should be miserable paying for all of the things we have done. This also will cause us to be grateful for what we do have rather than focusing on what we do not have. Apostle Paul says "We are to be always giving thanks to God the father for everything."

Moses teaches us to "number our days so that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Remember to always begin our prayers with praise - we will suddenly realize that we don't have it so bad. Start focusing on the positive things - change the way we think by asking God for help to change our old ways of thinking.

3. Believe in God's love and power - being negative is disbelief in the strength and love of God Luke 1:37 "For nothing is impossible with God"

Thank you Lord for everything you have blessed us with. We should praise you always! Help us to change our thinking and stay positive from this day forward. Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good points. We were talking about that subject this morning. Lots of things are beyond our control, but we can choose our attitude.

TAV said...

this reminded me so much of the book I read over the summer! we should all have attitudes of gratitude.
http://thatbananaisstillgood.blogspot.com/2007/07/attitudes-of-gratitude.html

Rachel and Hans said...

Great blog, Kristen. I'm going to have to write a couple of those things down. Life IS too short to be negative.
Thanks!

David and Lesley said...

Hey Kristen! Thanks for sharing that encouragement! I have been trying to stay positive on mornings when I am feeling tired and dreary, and I appreciated those good thoughts. We miss you guys!