So, you are probably wondering what happened to the bat since we couldn't find it. Yesterday, the maintenance man came to our apartment while we were at work/school and looked for an hour and could not find the bat. He said that he did find a couple of holes above our washer and dryer and another hole in our air conditioning closet. He sealed those holes up and then looked in the attic which is right above our apartment. He said that a couple of months ago there was a bat in our hallway and he had looked in the attic trying to figure out how it got it and couldn’t find anything. But, this time he did find a hole the size of his hand and did patch it up. He did say that if the bat came out last night, we were to call him at anytime of night....I would have been much happier had he just found it though!
So, after work/school we went to our bible study and told people what had happened. Some of the med students immediately told us that we needed to get shots for rabies if we had been sleeping in a room with bats because we didn't know whether we had gotten bitten in our sleep. I hadn't even thought of this and looked on the CDC website when we got home and sure enough, it says that you should get shots if you had been sleeping in the same room with bats. Brandon didn't really think this was necessary, so I called the Ask Mayo Clinic Nurses Line and the lady on the phone said that the Minnesota guideline is to get shots immediately after an exposure. She advised us to go to the ER and get shots. So, we had another fun night last night at the ER. We got there around 10pm and because everything takes so long in the ER, we didn't get home until 11:45pm. We both got a vaccine and a PEP (post exposure prophylaxis) shot and will have to go back 4 more times to finish the series.
When we got back home, we thought that if the bat was still in our apartment, we would find it flying around. It was not in there and when we woke up this morning we didn't find any more bat droppings! I think I might finally be able to sleep tonight...yah!
2 hours ago




3 comments:
With that number of shots, we can understand why a visit to the ER is so exciting. Hopefully the bat is outside doing what bats do best.
Wow! A post without photos. I leave for a bit and your whole world comes crashing down.
Don't worry, I'll be back soon and would love to be invited over for dinner! :)
Oh my gosh! Bats are scary. I hope you have no more problems with it.
Post a Comment