I usually do not write a post on here unless I have pictures to show, but after the night we had last night, I thought people might want to know why I am so tired today. We had some of Brandon's classmates over for dinner last night and had a great time. After we had cleaned up and were getting ready for bed, the fire alarm in our apartment goes off. This was the second after I had gotten into my pajamas. Brandon thought it was just the one in our apartment as I had been baking cookies, and was wondering why I was scrambling around to try and find clothes. While getting dressed, I tell him that we have to get outside because it was the fire alarm for the whole apartment. We go outside at 10:45 along with everyone else in the building and wait outside for everything to get cleared. By the time we get back inside it is around 11:20. We get back into bed and I have trouble sleeping.
Well, at around 12:45 I wake up and see something flying around our room. I think I was in shock at first and just continued to watch it. Brandon was in a deep sleep, but when I realized that birds do not look like mice, I finally figured out it was a bat and I woke Brandon up immediately! I tell him that there is a bat in our room and as he is half asleep, he tells me that it is fine. I had to literally point out that the bat was walking around on our window sill before he jumps out of bed. I keep watching it from under the covers and started to tell Brandon that it flew away before I hear Brandon hit the ground saying "It almost nailed me in the head!" I freak out and pull all of the covers over my head while Brandon is lying on the ground next to me trying not to get hit by the bat that is now flying hysterically all over our room. The bat finally flies out of our room and Brandon is able to shut the door. He goes out and tries to find it and comes back in around 1:20 am with my tennis racket that he was going to kill it with and says that he can’t find it. He had opened the door to the hallway, so we are hoping that it just flew out. However, being so scared, I had a little trouble falling back to sleep!
This morning as we are getting ready, I was still on the lookout for the bat and was mad that the bat cost me sleep! However, I became furious when I saw all of the bat droppings that were around our apartment….and not realizing what it was at first, I touched it thinking that dirt got on our couch! So, not only did this bat cost me sleep, but I also touched its droppings! And, am now worried that I have histoplasmosis (I looked it up on the internet!). We did take a picture of the droppings, but I figured that no one would want to see that!
2 hours ago



4 comments:
Hi Kristen: Keep those bat droppings! They make good fertilizer---I think it's called "bat guano". You may be able to sell it by the ounce! Bet Brandon was wishing for a really BIG bug zapper. Mom-L
We've figured out why the bat chose your house...you've got a good 'batting' average. Next summer avoid the softball game and go golfing!!
Mom-L & Dad-I
Sweet dreams tonight.
I love your blog. You write so well. That is really funny.
Post a Comment