Sunday, February 18, 2007

Hockey...


We went to a hockey game on last night with Nick, Cassi, Adam, Steve, Katy and Katy's brother, Matt. We were all having fun watching this popular sport in MN until a fight broke out. So, I know that fighting is part of the game, but when the game completely stops because of it, that is a different story. The game stopped, the two players took off their helmets and gloves, and then the refs just stood their and let them go at it in a fist fight....I was completely shocked for several reasons... 1) I am fine with a little shoving and some punches (with gloves & helmets on) as part of the game since they are still trying to get the puck in the goal, which is the ultimate purpose of the game, but when the game stops and they are no longer trying to get the puck in the goal, that is different; 2)what does this teach all of the fans and the little kids that are in the audience?...that fighting is okay???; 3) when else is it okay to get in a fist fight with someone????; 4) if the players want to fight, why don't they just go into boxing??; 5) why is it that the fans (including Brandon) encourage them when they are getting beat up and are all bloody?; 5) why don't the refs stop the fight before it happens instead of wait and risk the chance of getting hurt when breaking up the fight??. Ok, so I could go on but I think you get the point. I no longer am supportive of this sport after seeing this and I think Cassi and Katy would agree...the boys are a different story! I am going to have to research this some more to see what the rules are on fighting in hockey because to me it seems completely subjective. The refs broke up a fight earlier in the game but didn't when the two players took off their gloves and helmets...what's the difference? Also, why did they wait until both of the players were on the ground to break up the fight?? Ok, I'll stop now... here are some pictures from last night. The one that shows all of the kids on the ice is during one of the breaks in the periods. As a fundraiser, people buy pucks that they throw onto the ice and try to get into a bucket, and when it is all over, they have kids run onto the ice to pick all of the pucks up.


Katy, Me, Cassi, Nick and Adam
The refs finally breaking up the fight...
Me and Adam
All of the little kids picking up the pucks after they were thrown on the ice

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen, I feel the exact same way you do about fighting in hockey. It makes me cringe and my entire body shivers. I hate those terrible fights that stop the game! Of course, Matt cheers the fights on...darn guys!
~Beth

Anonymous said...

Kristen it is nice to hear that someone else shares my sentiments about the sport. I went to a hockey game earlier this year - cause a friend is the publicity manager and gets us free tickets. But the fights, to me, make even the box seats uncomfortable. I was told that they have one minute to duke it out before the reps break it up. And those 60 seconds are not pretty. I am with you I can't watch the fights and the parents that encourage it don't help. So I think we are safe to say that any future Yuan's will not be playing in the junior leagues. (Regardless of whether or not Brandon can stitch them up within the 5 minutes in the penalty box.) :)

Anonymous said...

We (Ojii included) are with you girls! Fighting for any reason is stupid. It is especially so when it is allowed as part of a "game."