Monday, August 27, 2007

Twins Game & Storms

I have had a busy week with work and other activities so sorry that it has taken me so long to post these pictures from last weekend when Brandon's parents came to visit. Since it rained on both Saturday and Sunday when they were here, we decided to go up to the Cities to go to the Mall of American and a Twins game on Saturday. The Twins game was packed since they were celebrating the anniversary of the 1987 team that won the series and all of the players from that team were at this game. It was fun to see the team play even though they lost. We decided to leave early to get home at a decent hour and it is a good thing that we did because it was raining so hard, I could barely see the road when I was driving! All of us had never seen rain like that before...it was amazing how it had been pouring the whole day and it didn't stop. We did get to watch quite a lightning show on the way home which Lagaytha enjoyed. I was too busy driving to watch...I have never hydroplaned that much in my life! When we got home, it was still stormy so Lagaytha and Brandon had fun watching all of the lightning. It turns out that this is the worst flooding that Southern MN has had in a long time and 12 people died. People's houses and cars were destroyed and they have been asking for volunteers to go help in some of the small southern towns. We were fine but many people we know got water in their basements. It was amazing how the path that I run on was beneath 6 feet or so of water.

Anyways, on Sunday we surveyed the flooding and then went to Chipotle for lunch (one of Brandon's favorite places to eat!). That night I made Brandon dinner for his birthday and a yummy chocolate cake. It was fun to be able to celebrate with his parents!

My somewhat pieced together picture of the stadiumThe trucks that drove around carrying the 1987 teamBrandon and his mom watching the storm from our apartmentThe Rochester dam that was even with the rest of the lakeWhere we are standing is usually 3/4 up from the bottom of the staircase!You can tell by looking at the trees and lights that this whole area isn't supposed to be under waterOur huge Chipotle burritosBrandon's chocolate birthday cake
Saying goodbye to Brandon's parents

3 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I knew there would be a picture of the cake.

HOLY COW IS THAT A LOT OF RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a lot of water! Lucky for Brandon that he did not need some of it to help extinguish the candles. Kristen, you did a professional job preparing the cake and it looks delicious.

TAV said...

holy buckets! that IS a lot of rain!!!